When migraines and other severe headaches (including cluster headaches) kick in at full force, even people with the highest pain tolerance will go running for just about any sort of pain relief or treatment that they can find. Migraine treatments vary in effectiveness based on the person, their triggers, their age, and where in the cycle of the migraine the patient is at. Patients who describe their pain are often using words like worst and massive. Several million Americans (and who knows how many worldwide migraine patients) are trying to keep these headaches under control, and often do not take advantage of all of the options available. There’s a whole host of new scientific studies being done on how to best treat migraines and while some time-proven methods work well, other new methods may prove more useful in your particular case.
To identify the best migraine treatments, make sure to keep a headache diary. You’ll want to note when the migraine started, how long it lasted, what you had to eat or drink for the previous 24 or 48 hours, and what you were doing when it started and stopped. Looking through the migraine diary may help you and your medical provider track down patterns of days where headaches happened and also when headaches didn’t occur, so you can prevent headaches.
- Stretching to Stay Young: Simple Workouts to Keep You Flexible, Energized, and Pain Free
- The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief (A New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)
- Treat Your Own Back
- Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection
- Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain
- The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress [2 Miracle Balls Included]
- The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain
- Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence
- Bayer Aspirin Regimen, Low Dose (81 mg), Enteric Coated, 300 Count
- Excedrin Migraine Caplets for Migraine Pain Relief, 200 count
- Advil PM (120 Count) Pain Reliever/Nighttime Sleep Aid Coated Caplet, 200mg Ibuprofen, 38mg Diphenhydramine
- Round Reusable Gel Ice Packs With Cloth Backing – Great For: Wisdom Teeth, Breastfeeding, Tired Eyes, Kids Injuries, Headaches, Sinus Relief And More. Use As Hot Or Cold Packs (Blue – 5 Pack)
There are many, many migraine treatments that are on the market – ranging from herbal remedies to high dosage narcotics. One of the most frustrating aspects of migraines is that treatments are often triggers.
For example, adequate amounts of sleep can help prevent and keep a migraine at bay. If you don’t get enough sleep, you can bring on a migraine episode, which may be able to be cured by taking some OTC medications and then getting some sleep. At which point, the sleep is also a treatment.
Caffeine may be one of the worst culprits of a migraine trigger that is also a migraine treatment.
A wide variety of herbal remedies for migraines exist on the market which can provide all natural migraine treatments. You may be well served by trying a few of them, and recording the results in your migraine diary.
Most migraine treatment protocols are to start with a weak treatment and then work your way up and escalate to stronger treatments. Alternatively, some migraine sufferers (myself included) prefer to go nuclear as often as possible – reach straight for the strongest treatment you have on hand.
Keep up with our site, and subscribe to our newsletter to stay up-to-date with the latest migraine treatments – hopefully you’ll find a few that you haven’t tried yet, and that will give you immediate relief.